Everyone has that one or two recipes that are go-to recipes in your home. You know, the recipe that you know all will love and likely was a recipe your parents made at one time for you. We have a handful like that in our home. This recipe I’m sharing with you today is one of our favorite go-to recipes.
Originally, this recipe was called Hamburger Pie Italiano. We still call it that, for the most part, but I have never understood the name (the only thing Italian in it is the mozzarella) so I renamed it Cheesy Hamburger Casserole. Much more fitting, I must say.
The recipe was given to my parents by my Aunt Nita over 25 years ago. It has been one I have loved ever since! When I was single, I would make this casserole on a Sunday and then eat it all week until it was gone. I could have frozen it, but why?
I have tweaked the recipe slightly since I started making it over 20 years ago, but it remains basically the same. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
As the oven preheated to 375°, I browned my ground beef, adding a dash of salt and pepper as it cooks. Next, I followed the directions on the Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff box to the letter.
Once the Hamburger Helper is cooked, I poured the stroganoff into a 9×13 casserole dish.
Using a spatula (it makes it easier to spread), I spread a 16-oz container of small curd cottage cheese over the stroganoff.
Then, I added at least 3 cups of shredded mozzarella (12 oz) on top. (Sometimes I get extra generous and add another cup. I love cheese!) I sprinkled about 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan on top of that.
Now I baked the casserole, uncovered, for close to 25 minutes. I waited to pull it out until the cheese on top was not just melted but a slight golden brown in spots.
You should let the casserole rest for 5-10 minutes so it can set. My family and I have a problem. We don’t usually let it do that and dive right in. The result of doing that is an ooey, gooey, mess, but it doesn’t matter because it tastes so good!
- 1 lb ground beef
- Hamburger Helper Stroganoff Dinner Kit
- 1 C. hot water
- 2 C. milk
- 16 oz. small curd cottage cheese
- 3-4 C. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 C. shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef, adding salt & pepper.
- Prepare the stroganoff kit as directed (using the water and milk)
- Pour the stroganoff into a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Spread the cottage cheese over the stroganoff.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella, then the parmesan on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes so it will set.
Latest posts by Denise (see all)
- 15 Fantastically Funny Facebook Posts: 14th Edition - 3 October, 2016
- Zootopia, Star Wars, and Captain America. Oh, My! Disney Comes to Netflix - 20 September, 2016
- 15 Fantastically Funny Facebook Posts: 13th Edition - 19 September, 2016
- Battle Scars - 13 September, 2016
- Fresh & Easy Marinara Sauce - 7 September, 2016