I’ve probably said it before, but I will say it again. My girls absolutely love pasta! Any type of pasta and practically any type of sauce. It makes feeding them, most days, quite easy. We usually make pasta or even rice, another favorite, as a side dish since it guarantees they will eat something for dinner. Lucky for us, we adore pasta too. Win, win!
When I saw this recipe for Baked Ravioli, I knew it would be a huge hit and it was! It is simple to make and the flavor of the sauce is amazing.
As my oven preheated to 425°, I started working on the sauce. I heated a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan. To the oil, I added salt, crushed black pepper, and 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic. I let the garlic sauté for 1-2 minutes then 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and 1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes. I brought the sauce to a boil then allowed it to simmer for a couple of minutes.
Now, using my hand blender, I blended the sauce until all the chunks were gone. If you don’t have a hand blender, I suggest you get one some day. They are awesome! However, you have a few options instead of using a hand blender: leave the sauce chunky, substitute the diced tomatoes with crushed tomatoes, or use a regular blender.
After the sauce was well-blended, the sauce simmered for 15 minutes. As the sauce cooked, I boiled a large bag of frozen cheese ravioli (for a different flavor, you can always substitute with meat ravioli). I let it cook until right before it was done so it wouldn’t over cook once it went in the oven to bake.
Then, I drained the water out and returned the pasta to the pot. I added the sauce to the pot as well and tossed the sauce and pasta together. I poured the pasta into a casserole dish (9×13). I topped the pasta with 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and baked the ravioli dish for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- Salt & crushed black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, Italian-flavored
- 1 large bag frozen cheese ravioli (or meat flavored for a variety)
- 1 C. mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 C. parmesan, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and saute with salt and pepper for 1-2 minutes.
- Add thyme, oregano and tomatoes.
- Bring sauce to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend the sauce, removing the chunks.
- Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- As the sauce simmers, cook the ravioli until right before it is done.
- Drain water from pasta and return to the pot.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and toss together.
- Pour pasta into a casserole dish.
- Top pasta with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.