Everyone has that one or two recipes that are go-to recipes in your home. You know, the recipe that you know all will love, and likely was a recipe your parents made at one time for you. We have a handful like that in our home. This recipe for Cheesy Hamburger Casserole is one of our favorite go-to recipes.
Recipes that you can count on for your family are important when you’re a parent. There are nights when I just don’t feel like fighting with my kids over what they will or will not eat. While pizza is always a winner as is spaghetti, there are only so many times you can eat those without wanting some variety.
Cheesy Hamburger Casserole is a family favorite at our home. Heck, for my whole family (parents, sister and her family), and has been for years! In fact, my family started making this sometime in the 1980s after my Aunt Nita passed it on to my parents. I fell in love with it after my first bite. When I was single, I would make this casserole on a Sunday and then eat it all week until it was gone. I could have frozen it, but why?
It was one of the first dishes I made for my husband when we were dating. He proposed not long after eating it. It’s that good! (Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration.) Now, all three of our girls love Cheesy Hamburger Casserole. It has noodles and lots of cheese. What’s not to love?
While I have tweaked the recipe slightly since I started making it over 20 years ago, it remains basically the same. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
- 1 lb ground beef
- Hamburger Helper Stroganoff Dinner Kit
- 1 C. hot water
- 2 C. milk
- 16 oz. small curd cottage cheese
- 3-4 C. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 C. shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef, adding salt & pepper.
- Prepare the stroganoff kit as directed (using the water and milk)
- Pour the stroganoff into a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Spread the cottage cheese over the stroganoff.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella, then the parmesan on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes so it will set.