|Ginny enjoying her pasta!|
My toddler, Ginny, loves pasta! It is one food we can almost guarantee she will eat, no matter how it is prepared. Needless to say, we eat a lot of pasta at my house. Luckily, one of my DH’s and my favorite foods is Italian. So, this means that her preference for pasta works for us. Our other favorite is Mexican. Ginny has already learned to love quesadillas, enchiladas, and Mexican rice. So, yay, us!
|All the ingredients added and ready to stir together for the
To get the dish ready, I minced up 1 medium onion and 1 red pepper. Following the recipe to a tee, at this point, I heated up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a deep skillet and then sauteed the onions for about 3 minutes. Then I added the red pepper and 2 minced garlic cloves. I let the vegetables cook for another 3 minutes. Once the veggies were nice and cooked, it was time to create the sauce. The recipe called for 1 tsp of cumin, 2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 small can of green chilies, 2 cans of green enchilada sauce, and 2/3 cup of red enchilada sauce to create the pasta sauce. (This sauce is why you must use a deep skillet.) Then add 2-3 cooked and shredded chicken breasts. Stir the sauce thoroughly. In the original recipe, the blogger said to shred up the chicken. I did not do that. I used pre-grilled chicken breasts cut up in chunks. I broke up the chicken further once it was simmering.
|The sauce after the cheese and sour cream had been added.|
After the sauce has simmered for 8-10 minutes, you will add 2 cups of cheese, any cheese of your choosing. I used a combination of sharp cheddar and regular cheddar because that is what I had on hand. When I cook this again, I will try it with a Mexican cheese, like Queso Chihuahua, or even Monterey Jack. Let the cheese melt while you stir, then add 1 cup of sour cream. Stir it in and let it heat, but don’t bring the sauce to a boil.
|Chicken Enchilada Pasta|
My family really enjoyed this dish! The pasta was delicious, and, as predicted, my toddler loved it. How do we know? She kept asking for more.
|Ginny pushing the plate to her daddy saying, “More?”|
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 can diced green chiles (4 oz)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups green chili enchilada sauce
- 2/3 cups red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb penne, cooked and drained
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet and cook onions for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, & enchilada sauces. Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through.
- Turn down to low. Stir in the sour cream until it is well-blended and heated through (without bringing to a boil).
- Pour sauce over pasta and mix well.
- Serve with any of your favorite taco/enchilada toppings such as guacamole, sour cream, etc.