My long time followers probably saw the title of this post and thought, what the heck? Denise doesn’t like chocolate. True enough, I don’t. In fact, I could live a happy existence without ever seeing or tasting chocolate ever again (well, except for Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I love those!). However, I’m married to a man who adores chocolate and gave birth to a chocoholic, my oldest daughter Ginny. Heck, even my middle daughter, who used to shun chocolate, wants to eat it now.
Poor Chris suffers because I don’t like chocolate. I rarely bake anything with chocolate (I hate cooking something I won’t eat. It’s hard to know if it turned out right). While I do buy him chocolate treats sometimes, I’m sure his annual chocolate quota has dropped since marrying me. He’s managing, somehow.
When it came time to buy gifts for Valentine’s Day this year, I could not figure out what to get Chris. Then, one day it occurred to me that I could bake him something with chocolate. I’d bake his favorite pie, French Silk Pie. I found a recipe (from the fabulous Pioneer Woman), bought the ingredients, and set to work. My husband was pleasantly surprised and loved the French Silk. It turned out amazing! (Oh, and Ginny couldn’t get enough. She was sad after they ate it all.)
- 4-oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 C unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs (pasteurized would be best)
- 1 baked 9-in pie shell
- whipped cream
- In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave the chocolate for 1 minute then 30 second increments until melted. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl, about 2 minutes.
- Add cooled chocolate and vanilla. Beat until well blended.
- Turn your mixer on medium and beat mixture for 15-20 minutes, adding an egg every 5 minutes (be sure to space them).
- With a spatula, pour the mixture into your baked pie shell. Spread it out evenly.
- Cool the pie in a refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Remove and top with whipped cream.
- You can place chocolate shavings on top, or do what I did and add strawberries.