A few months ago, as I was reading through multiple blog posts (an almost daily endeavor), I came upon a post that I loved. I love it so much that I pinned it on Pinterest to blog about later. Now, this is significant because I don’t, as a rule, steal blog posts ideas. I try to avoid it at all costs, but some ideas are just too creative or fun to avoid. That would be the case with this one from Aussa Lorens at Hacker. Ninja. Hooker. Spy. when she posted 21 Things I Irrationally Love. (And, to be fair, she stole her idea from the originator of the idea, Samara.)
I loved her list and felt inspired. Of course, I should have written my list after reading hers when the inspiration was at its prime. As it was, I struggled a bit to come up with 21 items I irrationally love and even enlisted my husband to help out (which he didn’t because he came up with the same stuff I did). All I ask is that you not judge! 😉
1. This morning I found myself quite pissed off because I have gone to three stores in the last 2 days and can’t find a single puzzle book. I feel like an addict going through withdrawal because I love word puzzles, especially the Penny Press variety books. Most nights, I can be found working on puzzles. I’ve been this way for years and remember when Sudoku was called “To the 9s” in puzzle books about 20 years ago or so. (I loved that type of puzzle then and found it rather amusing when it suddenly became an obsession with the public.)
2. Last year, we bought my minivan and I LOVE it! There are times when I can leave the house, without kids, and take my Honda Accord, but instead, I take the minivan. I love it that much. So much so that I am honestly confused as to why anyone would not want one, much less act as though a minivan was the kiss of death.
3. My favorite fast food place, by far, is Taco Bell. It has been a long love affair! When I was in the hospital for the first time, nearly 18 years ago, friends came to visit and asked what food I would like. I didn’t hesitate. It had to be Taco Bell. I know it isn’t good for me, but I just don’t care. I eat it once a week and the drive thru guy and I have developed a “relationship.” (His name is Jerry, is gay, cross dresses like Whitney Houston in his free time, and is very sweet to my girls.)
4. When October comes, I am happy! In October, you have great weather, post-season baseball, Halloween, and my birthday (as well as my husband’s, father’s and sister’s birthdays and my parents’ anniversary). What could be better?
5. I’m a bit of a collector and one of my largest collections are cookbooks and recipes! I love reading and exploring all of them. I doubt I’ll ever make everything. (It wouldn’t be humanly possible.)
6. As the name of my blog attests, I love The University of Kansas Jayhawks! It is my alma mater (I graduated from there in 1993). I loved all four years of school there and am still sad I had to leave Lawrence. I still follow my school and love it when I discover other Jayhawks who love the school as much as I do.
7. Little Debbie’s Peanut Butter Crunch Bars. They are the BEST. Unfortunately, they are hard to find in my town. When I do find them, I buy them in bulk! Much better than a Nutty Bar any day. Oh, and they must be eaten with a full glass of milk.
8. Books, books, and more books! I read all the time. If I’m not reading a book, I’m reading a blog post, a news article, or a magazine. I really don’t understand it when I hear moms say they haven’t read books in years because of their kids. To me, reading is a priority, even if it is 5 minutes in the bathroom or right before bed. I NEED to read almost as much as I need to breathe.
9. My husband is a bit nervous that I am obsessed with documentary murder programs, especially those found on the Investigation Discovery channel, otherwise known as the murder channel in our home. I can’t get enough of true crime!
10. Realtor.com. I love looking at homes in our area or other cities. It is especially fun to dream that you have millions to spend and look at homes in Malibu, California. Truth!
11. Along with looking at homes, I love looking at floor plans. I blame my parents who had floor plan books that I loved to peruse and imagine all the possibilities!
12. Daisy Mae, my adorable 11-year-old cockapoo. I adopted her almost 11 years ago! She changed my life in such a positive way, and I can’t imagine life without her.
13. Singing! I love to sing! I’m the person at Mass who sings loud and proud. I also love to put on my favorite playlist on in my minivan and sing along! Of course, Ginny spoils the whole thing, at times, by telling me, “Mommy, don’t sing! I don’t want you to sing.” I’ve learned that if I ask her to sing with me that she doesn’t mind so much anymore.
14. Travel planning…I enjoy planning a vacation and all the logistics that go with it. I would prefer to do it all with little input from others, but it doesn’t usually work out that way. (That said, my husband usually lets me do most of it without complaint or comments.)
15. The desert! I hate heat and humidity, but don’t mind a dry desert heat one bit. Maybe it is because we lived in Vegas for a couple of years when I was a child. I don’t know. But I enjoy visiting Vegas to this day and spending my time out in the desert at places like the Valley of Fire or Red Rock Canyon. Who needs the casinos? I don’t.
16. In 1984, I discovered a band that would change my teenage years completely, Duran Duran. I loved them then and still love them now!
17. Playing board games gives me great joy, especially when I win. I’m competitive by nature.
18. Baking and then eating my Grandma Scott’s recipe for pecan pie! No other pecan pie comes even close to her recipe, in my opinion.
19. While my husband would say it is irrational to love the St. Louis Cardinals, I find it completely rational. However, I adore the Cardinal’s catcher, Yadier Molina! I call him “my boy” even though he doesn’t know I exist! I think he is the best catcher in baseball and will be considered one of the greats, right beside the likes of Johnny Bench and Carlton Fisk.
20. For me, genealogy is not only a love, but an obsession. Heck, I even have a genealogy blog (although it has been sorely neglected in the last year).
21. Last, but certainly not least, are my little girls, Ginny and Grace, and my amazing husband Chris! The most “irrational” being my daughters because I loved them before I even saw them.
What do you irrationally love?