To me, there is nothing quite like a casserole! I especially loved them as a singleton because it meant I had a meal every night for a week. It doesn’t work like that now with my family, but a good casserole is always a treat. So, when I saw this recipe for Beefy Sour Cream Noodle Casserole, I had to pin it for later. It wasn’t until later that I realized that I had already pinned it, sort of. You see, this is a variation on a Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman) recipe for Sour Cream Noodle Bake, I guess I’ll have to try Ree’s version in the future,
Anyhow, this adapted recipe by Lori at Who Needs a Cape? was fabulous! I knew right away it was a hit when my DH told me he liked it about 30 seconds after taking his first bite. Not bad, huh? This dish is also quite easy to make (don’t forget, one of my main requirements for cooking is ease!).
I started by preheating the oven to 350. While the oven was preheating, I put my husband to work and had him brown 1 lb of ground beef. I started boiling some water so I could cook 8 ounces of whole wheat egg noodles. I did not cook them all the way to al dente. I stopped short because I knew the recipe would be baking in the oven for more time. My goal, as always, is to avoid the pasta getting too soft.
As the pasta cooked and the ground beef browned, I pulled together the spices (3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper, 1/4 tsp seasoning salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder) and opened a can of tomato sauce. Once the beef was ready, I thanked my husband, Chris, with a kiss and sent him on his merry way. After draining the beef, I added the spices and tomato sauce to the beef, blending everything nicely. Then I let the meat mixture simmer until the pasta was finished.
While waiting on the pasta, I mixed together 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 1/4 cup cottage cheese (I used small curd), 1/2 cup sliced green onions, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, and some fresh ground pepper (a dash or so). By this time, the pasta was ready. I drained it then added it to the sour cream combo, stirring it well enough to make sure that all the pasta was coated.
In a greased (okay, I sprayed with Pam) 9×13 casserole pan, I started layering the casserole: 1/2 the noodles, 1/2 the meat mixture, then 1/4 cup shredded cheddar. Repeat. I will be honest. I am sure I added more than 1/4 cup of cheese in each layer. Have I mentioned that I love cheese? I also never bother to measure the cheese. I always guesstimate and my guesses always involve more cheese than in a recipe. Now the casserole was ready to put in the oven for 25 minutes.
It was amazing! Not only did my husband and I enjoy it, but my toddler loved it too. It is a new family favorite!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz whole wheat egg noodles
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup cottage cheese (small curd)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef then drain fat from pan.
- Stir in tomato sauce, salt, pepper, seasoning salt, & garlic powder.
- Simmer on low until ready to use in casserole.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions, drain.
- In a large bowl, combine sour cream, cottage cheese, green onions, garlic salt, & pepper. Add in cooked egg noodles, stir together.
- In greased 9x13 pan, assemble in layers. 1st layer 1/2 of noodle mixture, followed by 1/2 of meat mixture, and then 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar. Repeat all layers.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and heated through.