I do not like football. I would say hate, but that’s probably too strong a word. I tolerate the game okay. Since I’m married to a man who loves football and the Green Bay Packers, football is now a part of my life.
Despite never being a fan, I do love the Super Bowl. Not the game itself, but rather all the other stuff: the commercials, the half-time show, and the food, the marvelous food. Every year, I love to make lots of tasty appetizers to eat while enjoying the spectacle with my husband Chris. This year will be no different.
One appetizer I love is Party Pizza Bites (or, as we call them in my home, little pizzas). My mom got the recipe from my Aunt Nancy in the 1980s. It’s been a favorite ever since our first bites (addictive, too!). In fact, my mom would make a batch and keep them in the freezer for snacks.
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage, browned and broken up
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 loaf cocktail rye bread
- Melt cheese in double boiler or microwave.
- Add browned sausage to the melted cheese and stir.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning. Mix together well.
- Spread cheese on each slice of rye bread. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Put the cookie sheets filled with the pizza bites in the freezer. Leave until frozen (1-2 hours).
- *Bake 5 to 8 minues at 450 degrees.
- *If you are not baking it the same day, then transfer the pizza bites into plastic freezer bags to save for another day.