It is a well-established fact that I love pizza, particularly pepperoni pizza. However, this was not always true of me. Growing up, I couldn’t stand pepperoni. I loved cheese or sausage pizza the best. It wasn’t until high school that my disdain for pepperoni became an issue. At almost every sleep over or party, the pizza of choice was pepperoni. While I wasn’t thrilled, I made do and eventually discovered a love for the spicy meat.
When I saw this recipe for Pizza Casserole a couple of years ago on Pinterest, I knew my family needed to try it. We not only tried it, but loved it and have made it a few times. My girls love it because it is pasta. Ginny loves it the most because it has pepperoni (when she says that word it sounds quite a bit like macaroni which this dish has as well).
The last time I made this casserole, I went to the web page and discovered something horrifying; the original blog and recipe was gone. So, from memory, I made this dish. I’d love to thank For Mama for creating it, but I can’t so blogging about it is the best I can do.
The original recipe called for egg noodles. I was out and replaced them with macaroni. I figured that would work best for Ginny’s little fingers as she had just recently turned one. Now, I always make this pizza casserole with macaroni. I start by boiling a pound of macaroni for about 5-7 minutes, just shy of al dente. I don’t want it to be mushy when served.
While the macaroni is boiling, I preheat the oven to 350° and brown the meat, 1 pound hamburger and a half pound of Italian sausage. Then, I drain the meat and the pasta.
In a 9×13 casserole, I spread a small layer of pasta sauce on the bottom; just enough to cover. The rest of this is done in layers:
1/2 the noodles
1/2 the meat
1 1/2 C. shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 the remaining sauce
Then, you basically repeat with the remaining noodles, meat then the rest of the sauce. Cover that with another 1 1/2 C shredded Mozzarella.
Finally, add a layer of pepperoni slices (about 40) on top of the cheese. Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes. You want that cheese nice and melty. (I know, that isn’t a word but it works for me.)
Remove the casserole and let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
This casserole is sure to be a hit with your family. It is with mine!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 lb ground hamburger
- 1/2 lb bulk Italian sausage (or cut up links work as well)
- 1 jar pasta/spaghetti sauce
- 3 C. Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 40 slices of pepperoni (1 small package)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil the macaroni for 5-7 minutes, right before it reaches al dente. Drain.
- As the macaroni is boiling, brown the meat then drain the grease.
- In a 9 x 13 casserole dish, spread a thin layer of pasta sauce on the bottom. Then start layering in the following order: 1/2 the pasta, 1/2 the meat, 1/2 the cheese, 1/2 the remaining pasta sauce.
- Repeat the layers in the following order: remaining pasta, meat, sauce, and on top the cheese.
- Place a layer of pepperoni on top of the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Allow the dish to sit and cool for about 10 minutes, then serve.