Since I’m a mom with two littles, I try to make cooking easy on myself when I can. While I enjoy being creative in the kitchen, I don’t usually have the time. Hence, my tendency to go with a quick and easy recipe. This recipe for Pork Chops O’Brien that I found on Pinterest fit those requirements.
The only trick to making this recipe is making sure to defrost the potatoes. I’ll have to admit that we didn’t make this on the day I originally planned because I forgot to defrost the potatoes. Oy! So, we had this the next night.
My family enjoyed this dish (well, 3 out of 4…my oldest toddler won’t eat much of anything beyond PB & J). While it gets its name from the type of hash brown potatoes used, I think I might use regular hash browns the next time I make it instead of the O’Brien variety.
Before you start cooking anything, go ahead and preheat your oven to 350°.
Now, warm a skillet on your stove top and add about 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Once the oil is nice and hot, put the pork chops in the skillet to brown; giving them a nice sear. You don’t want to cook the pork chop through…just make it nice and brown on the surface.
As the pork chops sear, in a large bowl, mix together 1 can cream of celery soup, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup sour cream (I used light), 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/2 cup French fried onions. Once that is well blended, add your defrosted bag of O’Brien hash browns.
Now, spray a casserole dish (I used my 9 x 13 dish) with cooking spray. Then, spread the potato mixture in the casserole. Place your pork chops on top of the potatoes and sprinkle them with seasoned salt (like Lawry’s).
Cover the chops with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Pull them out once the time is up and sprinkle 1/2 cup cheddar and 1/2 cup French fried onions on top. (Oops…I just realized I forgot to add more onions. Next time.) Bake for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted then serve.
- 4-6 pork loin chops, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1/2 C. milk
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 C. French fried onions, divided
- 1 (28 oz) package frozen O'Brien hash browns, thawed
- Seasoned salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown pork chops in oil giving them a nice sear.
- As the pork chops brown, in a large bowl, combine soup, milk, sour cream, pepper, 1/2 cup cheese, and 1/2 cup French fried onions.
- Add hash browns.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spread potato mixture in the casserole dish.
- Place chops on top and sprinkle with seasoned salt.
- Cover and bake for 40-45 minutes or until chops and potatoes are tender.
- Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese and onions.
- Return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.